Sunday, January 17, 2010

A New Week

This last week was tough. Ken's cousin's son declined rapidly after the stroke. The family is making the tough decision to stop the ventilator today.

We went to the hospital yesterday for support. I hugged this man's mother and said I wish I had a pearl of wisdom for you but I got nothing. There really is nothing to say. What words do you say to a mother who lost one son in a tragic motorcycle accident several years ago and now has to make the decision to pull the ventilator on her only other child?

Sometimes, it is best to say nothing. Our presence, our hugs, our tears were all we could give. Anything else is just hollow.

Even David, a man after God's own heart, wrote no less than four times, "Do not hide your face from me." There are just times when we feel like God is hiding his face. We want answers and we want them now.

And sometimes we never get the answers. Do you know that Job was never told, at least in the narrative, about the cosmic war of which he was central? His troubles ended and he was blessed. So there may be things for which we never have the answers on this earth.

Still, in the face of despair, the psalmist still turned to God, and so should we.

Answer me quickly, O LORD;
my spirit fails.
Do not hide your face from me
or I will be like those who go down to the pit.

8 Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love,
for I have put my trust in you.
Show me the way I should go,
for to you I lift up my soul.

9 Rescue me from my enemies, O LORD,
for I hide myself in you.

10 Teach me to do your will,
for you are my God;
may your good Spirit
lead me on level ground.

11 For your name's sake, O LORD, preserve my life;
in your righteousness, bring me out of trouble.

12 In your unfailing love, silence my enemies;
destroy all my foes,
for I am your servant.

--Psalm 143:7-12


Blessings.


--Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment