Friday, April 2, 2010

Another Retail Story: An Opportunity to Encourage

A man walked up to my counter today and laid three items down: a table cloth, a cream pitcher, and a salt and pepper shaker set. I asked him as I often asked customers if he found everything he was looking for. He shrugged and said, "All I know is I suck at this." Puzzled, I asked what he meant. He explained that his kids were coming to visit and he guessed nothing would match. As I completed the transaction, I asked more about his kids. He merely said two kids were coming with their kids.

I commented that I was sure they were coming to see him and that what he had picked out would look just fine. He didn't know what he was going to do with the kids. I suggested a train ride at the Kemah Boardwalk. I suggested he take them to McDonald's for Happy Meals and time on the playground. I suggested he just keep things simple and they would think he was a hero. He seemed a little relieved. So tonight I am wondering about that man. I wonder how long since he has seen his kids. I wonder that he was concerned that he should have items that matched. I hope I offered encouragement.

Earlier this week, another man purchased bath accessories, clearly preparing to redecorate or fix up a new bathroom. Yes, he said. He was starting over. Again. But he was hopeful about the future. "Sometimes," I offered, "a fresh start is good." He agreed.

Everyday, we encounter people who are facing difficulties. They have their own private pain as they move through their day. And they need encouragement. We may not know the details. They may not want to share the details. They don't necessarily need advice, just encouragement.

He died for us so that, whether we are awake or asleep, we may live together with him. 11Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing. --1 Thessalonians 5:10, 11

Happy Easter

--Laura

Join us Sunday night, April 11, at 5:00 p.m. as Lee Cox leads us in exercises and discussions on how to encourage. Fellowship hall.

1 comment:

  1. Great reminder, Laura. We don't have to know all the details to offer a little encouragement. You did a great job with those two guys and I'm sure they were blessed by your kind words!

    ReplyDelete