Monday, March 29, 2010

The Race: Staying Strong


Nearly two years ago, I began my running “career.” At first, my running playlist was three songs long. Walk the first song, run as much of the second song as possible, and walk the third song. I clearly remember the day I ran four songs – a lovely fall day in the rolling Virginia Hills. And so my runs were measured by measures of song rather than miles.


Almost exactly one month ago, as I ran my first race, several thoughts came to me as I ran. That is the greatest thing about running—it frees your mind and the thoughts just fill your head.


Wendy Harrison encouraged me to sign up for the Houston Rodeo 5k fun run. I signed up in the fall when I’d been running 3 or 4 times a week but after the cold, wet weather hit, I did not go run much but I’d been running regularly for about a year so I felt I was somewhat prepared.


Thousands showed up in downtown Houston to run the race. 12,500 was the reported number of runners.


The excitement was palpable. The call came to take our mark and the starting horn blew. My adrenaline was pumping as I pushed off with the other runners. And as I ran, I experienced several things. First, there were people along the sidelines cheering. They rang bells, they had signs, they whooped, they yelled encouragement. And none of them knew me but I felt that they were there for me. So I ran with my head high.


But then there were stretches where there wasn’t anyone cheering. But I wasn’t alone. I was with the other runners. And I didn’t know them but we were in it together so I kept going, running along with them, all for the same purpose.


And then there was the finish line. I still had a few blocks to go but the extra burst that came when I saw the end was a great feeling so I kept going strong to the finish. And crossing that line was great – it was the feeling of having run a great race.


Many of you are facing your own race right now. You have a lot on your plate – you are dealing with illness, aging parents, rebellious children. And even without anything extraordinary in your life, as women, raising children in this world where boundaries are diminishing is tough. We work, we are wives, we are mothers.


Our theme this year is

Staying Strong

§ Relying on God

§ Recharging your strengths

§ Refreshing your relationships

Strong women make a huge impact.


In Deuteronomy 31, Moses goes out to speak to the people. They are finally headed into the new land promised many years earlier. Joshua is going to be their leader. And here’s what he tells them. He would not be going with them But God himself will cross over ahead of them.


Be strong and courageous,” Moses told them. “Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."

And Moses told Joshua, "Be strong and courageous, for you must go with this people into the land that the LORD swore to their forefathers to give them . . .”

And Moses further advised Joshua, “The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged."


Later, Joshua gives that same encouragement to the people. Be strong and courageous. And later David tells Solomon: Be strong and courageous. I found that encouragment given eleven times.


Our theme has three parts – God, you, and your relationships

Strength training takes practice – and there are different aspects of strength training – there’s bodybuilding, there’s increasing your endurance, and there’s toning.

Let me compare that to the women’s ministry and how you can tap into strength training.


Bodybuilding – our retreat will be focused on finding your strengths which will help you serve and help you build better relationships. We will have some socials to help you build your relationships.


Endurance – Bible studies, prayer groups, our equipping sessions will provide the skills you need to keep going.


Toning – First Friends, join in the planning for our events, and join in the opportunities to serve.


The women’s ministry team desires that each woman here have the skills and the relationships to run strong, to finish strong.


Back to that race. And so here are some lessons I pulled from that race.


1. To stay strong, we all need encouragement. Even just a little atta girl, “a you can do it” is an immense encouragement when you are in a race. We need to do that for each other – even those you don’t know very well. Find a way to encourage someone. And the women’s team is here to encourage you. We hope we have planned studies and events that will be an encouragement to you to stay strong.


2. Preparation is key to staying strong. Those who trained for the race finished strong. Those who were less prepared finished but it was tough. They straggled across the line. Prepare now for the challenges that will surely come. Prepare by coming to the studies, by coming to the fellowships, by making a new friend. Again, the team hopes that what we have planned will prepare you to be strong.


3. Even when there is no one cheering, you are not alone. You may not know them, but there is always someone going through the same thing that you are going through. It is a comfort knowing that someone else is right there with you.


No matter what, run with your head held high.


Be strong and courageous. . . Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Deuteronomy 31: 7-8

--Laura

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you on this one. Encouragement is my passion, because I know it makes a difference for me! I believe if we could learn to say encouraging words to each other, we could change the world one person at a time.
    How to encourage
    http://howtoencourage.blogspot
    Kay Gramm

    ReplyDelete