Friday, January 8, 2010

Friday Morning - Brrrh!

It's 25 degrees here in H-town. It was great to see everyone at Kroger last night, and I mean everyone! I guess we were all stocking up for soup and chili.

This is very nostalgic of my Kentucky winters. My senior year in high school, the weather was so bad school was closed for over 30 days. Now, you might think that would be great--but it was my senior year. I wanted to graduate and move on to "real" life. Grown up life. I was headed to college and a big career somewhere farther south. I did go to college and I did move south to Houston. As for the big career, well it's been varied but I am thankful for most of my experiences. Although I've had a charmed life by some standards, it has not been devoid of struggle. But like the butterfly that will die without the struggle coming out of the cocoon, each struggle adds to our strength and our ability to cope with the next trial.

As for that grown up life, I got it. Today's grown up life meant getting up at 5:30 a.m., getting my son's lunch made and him out the door for his shift, washing the dishes left over from last night, putting the still up Christmas decorations at the back of my mind because I simply can't do anything about them for awhile (hey, it's really only 10 months until I need them again anyway), starting a load of laundry, and getting myself ready for work.

Still, I am thankful that our heat is working, that I own at least one sweater, and that I have employment. My heart goes out to those without such blessings. The shelters are calling for extra supplies -sleeping bags, blankets, warm clothes. Share if you can.

Have a blessed day.

--Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment